Classic hostel with rooftop bar in the historic center of Quetzaltenango.
Our shuttle providor is Monte Verde Tours in Xela. All shuttle will pick you up at the front door of Kasa Kiwi.
WhatsApp me if you have questions. Tom +502 5510-0558
Days and Times subject to change. Afternoon shuttles often have 2 person minimum.
- Antigua – 8:00am & 2:00pm – Q225/pp
- Panajachel – 8:00am & 2:00pm – Q150/pp
- San Pedro – 3:00pm – Q175/pp
- Guatemala city – 8:00am & 2:00pm – Q240/pp
- El Paredon via Antigua 8am Q290/pp
- Coban/Lanquin – Daily Via Quiche 7:30am Q450/pp
- San Cristobal, MX – Monday to Friday 6:30am Q375/pp/
Tours & Treks
Tour and Treks Must be booked 12 to 24 hours in advance. Please speak to me if you wish to book a trek or add me to your WhatsApp and message me with your trek requests/Questions. Tom +502 5510-0558 Most treks require a 2 person minimum.
Book your treks online.
Las Fuentes Georginas
Lovely natural hot spring in the middle of lush green mountains. Entrance fee is Q60. Transport options are:
- Uber Q55-Q85 one way. If you take Uber talk to your driver and ask him to come back and get you at a set time. (Most will say yes but MANY will not come back) DO NOT pay in advance instead offer to pay a little more in cash when he returns. You can also ask if they will wait for you off the app, some of them will say yes for the right price.
- Local Bus: take the bus to Zunil from the Shell gas station 1 block to the right from Kasa Kiwi. The bus will drop you on the side of the road in Zunil. You can find taxis or tuk tuks here or walk to the main plaza in front of the white church to find one. Negotiate price to Las Fuentes (Q45 and up).
RETURN: If you take the bus or if your Uber does not come back you will need to find a ride from the hot springs back to Xela or back to the main road. From the main road you can catch a bus coming back into Xela. Tell them you want Parque Central. There are always families at the hot springs if you are nice many of them will offer you a ride back to Xela.
TIP: Hidden Pools. Once you pay your Q60 entrance fee you will be in the parking lot. On the right there is a restaurant, if you go to the restaurant and tell them you want to use the Anexo you can pay an additional Q25 and go to a set of hidden pools. These pools are located about 10 mins below the parking lot and are MUCH hotter and very beautiful. 100% worth the extra Q25. Don’t miss them.
Laguna Chicabal is a Guatemalan lake sacred to the Mam Mayan people. The lake is located in the middle of the sunken crater of the Chicabal volcano. in the town of San Martín “Chili Verde” Sacatepéquez about 1hr outside of Xela. Daily Tours can be arranged, the cost is Q275/person including RT private transport, Guide and Entrance fee. Other transport options Uber Q65 to Q150. Local Bus: Catch the bus/Van (Colectivo) on 6ta Calle and 15 Ave Zona 3, two block north of Parque Benito Juarez. (NO colectivo on Sunday, goto Minerval Terminal ask for bus going to San Martin Chile Verde) Q10-15/one way. This bus will drop you off at the main road to the entrance of Laguna Chicabal. From there you can walk 2 hours to the top. To save time pay pickup truck to take you to the car park. From here it is a 45min hike to the top. Once at the top there is a set of 600 steps you must descend to get to the lake. Please remember this is a sacred Lake No Swimming. Entrance fee: Q50.00
One of the most popular hikes in Xela is the one to Santa Maria Volcano and the view of the Santiaguito active cone. The hike takes 3 to 5 hours up and 2 to 3 hours down. In order to have the best chance of seeing an eruption you need to summit before 10am. 2 person minimum to book treks.
1 Day Trek. Pickup 5am @ Kasa Kiwi PRIVATE transport to the trail head. We hike to the top were we stay for about 2 hours, then we descend and return to Kasa Kiwi by 2pm. Q250/pp Including private transportation, gear and guide.
Full Moon Trek. Pickup 12:-00am @ Kasa Kiwi PRIVATE transport to the trail head. We hike to the top were we stay for sunrise, then we descend and return to Kasa Kiwi by 11am. Q275/pp Including private transportation, gear and guide.
It is possible to do this trek without a guide. Uber is the best option for this early morning trip. Suggested departure time is 5:00am. Uber to Llanos de Pinal where the road ends the trail begins. Using an app like Maps.me is highly recommended. The trail is not well marked.
The first bus to Llanos de Pinal is at 6:00am-6:30am. This is not recommended as it takes too long to get to the starting point. Uber is available at 5:00am and is the best option.
This trek is difficult, take water, food and warm clothing in layers. We do not recommend you do this trek alone. It is always best to hike with 2 or more people.
Volcan Tajumulco, the highest point in Central America, is a moderate to difficult hike. You will be climbing from 3,000m at the trailhead to the peak at 4,220m (almost 14,000ft). From the top of Tajumulco there are panoramic views of the western highland, the Pacific coast and Mexico. It is an amazing hike and a bucket list item for many. Treks require a minimum of 2 ppl.
- 2 Day/1 night trek Pickup 6am @ Kasa Kiwi goto trekking office to pick up the gear, guide and food. Then we take you to the bus terminal, where you and your guide will take PUBLIC transportation to the trailhead. From there we hike for approximately 4 hours and set up camp in a sheltered bowl 45 minutes from the summit. We have dinner around a campfire and watch the sunset. In the morning we climb to the top before dawn to see an amazing sunrise. After breakfast we pack up and descend for the bus ride back to Xela. Q450/pp Includes transport from your accommodation in Xela, public round trip transportation to the trailhead, entrance fee, 3 meals (lunch and dinner the first day breakfast the 2nd vegetarian and other dietary restrictions available with advance notice), equipment and guide
- 1 Day Trek. Pickup 4am @ Kasa Kiwi PRIVATE transport to the trail head (approx 3 hr drive). We hike to the top were we stay for about 2 hours, then we descend and return to Xela by 5-6pm. Q450/pp Including Private transportation, gear, entrance fee and guide.
- Full Moon Trek. Pickup at Kasa Kiwi at 10:30pm, PRIVATE transportation to trail head, we climb to the top, watch sunrise and then descend and return to Xela around 2pm. Q500/pp Including Private transportation, gear, entrance fee and guide.
What to bring…2 day/1 night trek Bring: 4 Liters of water, large backpack (55+liter), hiking boots or sneakers, flashlight, sunscreen, camera, warm layers of clothing, jacket and hat. raincoat during rainy season May-Oct.
1 day or full moon trek.. Bring 2 Liters of water, hiking boots or sneakers, sunscreen, flashlight, camera, warm layers of clothing, jacket and hat. raincoat during rainy season May-Oct.
Cerro El Baul
This wooded hill can be seen from the Kasa Kiwi Rooftop is a popular weekend destination for city dwellers. It has wonderful views across Xela’s broad plain and to the volcanos that fringe it. There are some surprisingly fast and scary kids’ slides and a giant obelisk with great Maya warrior Tecún Umán carved in relief – legend claims he is buried on this spot. The hike takes approx 1 hour from the front door of Kasa Kiwi. There are 2 routes you can see on Google Maps, one is longer than the other. Warning: Be alert and aware of any stray dogs on either of these routes, they are not friendly. The shorter route seems to have more aggressive dogs and they do bite. It is best to avoid any dogs you see. The longer route follows the road up to the top.
Head up hill toward Almolonga, at the large turn almost to the top of the highway, take the cobblestone road heading right toward the Cerros and also the thermal baths marked on the highway as “Baños Los Vahos” (a fairly well known spot). The baths are created from geothermal energy from the still active Volcano and are a good stop on the return from a long hike. After heading up the road for about 200 meters, stay straight on the paved road for about 30 minutes and you will arrive at a community called Chicuá. At the entrance of the community, take a right off the road onto an obvious trail paved with stones. 15 minutes up this trail will bring you to a soccer field, and from there several obvious paths lead up to the mulit-summit Volcán Cerro Quemado. Uber is an option to take you directly to the community instead of walking.
Xela to Lake Atitilan
3 day/2 night Q750.00/pp
An amazing off the beaten path hike from Xela to beautiful Lake Atitlan. You will be picked you up at Kasa Kiwi at 6am and taken to the trekking office. Here you will pack your bags and leave any items you do not want to carry. After a short drive from Xela you hike up through a forest slope to a grasslands plateau, passing through cornfields, and remote villages accessible only by foot, where you will spend the night with a local family (the homestays are very basic, you sleep on the floor with a pad and sleeping bag, which we bring from Xela). Day 2 you pass through 2 remote river valleys, coffee farms, cloud forest and spend the night in a village overlooking Lake Atitlan. Day 3 short hike to Indian Nose after watching an early morning sunrise over the lake you hike down to the lake passing through San Juan la Laguna and ending in San Pedro at approx. 10:30am. Please separate the items you do not want to carry and put them in a separate bag. Your bag with the items you did not want to carry we will meet in San Pedro. Included in the price.
Climb: Start 2300mt, high point 3100mt on 1st day.
Included: Private transportation, 6 meals(lunch and dinner first day, 3 meals second day, breakfast third day), entrance fees, 2 nights homestay, equipment, guide and luggage transport to San Pedro on day 3.
Bring: 2lts of water, breakfast 1st day, breakfast/snacks, some money in small bills, large backpack (50+liters) hiking boots or sneakers flashlight, sunscreen, camera, warm clothes in layers and jacket, raincoat during rainy season May-Oct.
Other things to do near Xela.
How to find Kasa Kiwi?
Kasa Kiwi Hostal & Travel
9a Avenida 8-38, Zona 1 Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Tel: +502 7765-4251
Whatsapp: +502 5510-0558